Lemon water has been around for a while now. Hyped by many fitness gurus, we thought it was just a fad, but it’s still here.
Maybe there’s something to this thing. Let’s take a closer look at this so-called miracle drink.
What is Lemon Water?
Simply put, it’s fresh squeezed lemon in water that is part of your wake up routine. The pros recommend using warm water since the body absorbs warm water more efficiently. Into the water is squeezed about a half a lemon; more or less depending upon your tolerance for sour. It’s similar to how many drink their morning coffee. A cup or two per day seems to be the overall consensus. Seems simple enough.
What are the Advantages of Lemon Water?
There are some proven health benefits to lemon water, but then there are some claims we’re not quite convinced about. We’ll let you make the final determination, but here’s what we found:
- Nutritionally speaking, lemon is a good source of vitamin C and contains a fair amount of antioxidants. We’ll agree on that one.
- It’s refreshing and has great flavor. Sure, it has great flavor provided that you love lemons. Refreshing or shocking? Pucker-mouth could be viewed as refreshing to some. Taste is quite subjective.
- It detoxifies the body. Some insist lemon water increases the detoxifying enzymes found in the liver and thereby flushes out more toxins from the body. We’re sorry, but the liver doesn’t speed up its process for nobody. In addition, we found no medical proof confirming this claim.
- It’s good for your skin. Claims that lemon water clears up skin issues like acne and even helps eliminate wrinkles are unfounded. It’s not that it doesn’t aid skin care, just not more than a regular glass of water would do.
- It helps you lose weight. Another preposterous claim that is not supported by any type of evidence. The world is still searching for that miracle weight loss drug. Once found, we’ll be the first to praise it…but it’s not lemon water. We can say, that it will help you drop some calories if it’s chosen over a sugary drink, but that’s about it.
Are There Any Disadvantages of Lemon Water?
The biggest problem we see is people being duped into the false claims. Other than that there are a few small considerations to keep in mind before embarking on a morning lemon water routine.
- Heartburn and indigestion. Lemons are highly acidic and could cause some issues for those with sensitive digestive systems.
- Damage to tooth enamel. The same acidity level that may cause stomach issues can also wear down tooth enamel that can eventually lead to tooth decay. Dentists recommend drinking lemon water quickly rather than sipping it all morning. Then rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth.
In conclusion, we see no real advantage to lemon water over plain water. If you love the flavor of lemon and believe you may increase your daily water intake, then by all means, do it. On the other hand, if you don’t feel like starting the day on a sour note, a half an orange squeezed in water will accomplish the same result.
For more information on the health benefits of water, read our post The Importance of Water in the Body